Thursday, October 17, 2013

6 weeks under our belt

Today is officially the 6 week mark since Heidi's meniscus removal. Last time I checked in with you guys, I was a little concerned that she was still limping but was hopeful that it could take up to 6 weeks for the limp to go away. In the past week or 2 I have really noticed improvements. I think I mentioned before that Heidi's limp would worsen after our therapy walks. After a couple weeks of intermittent limping, I decided to rest her for a week. That apparently did the trick! Much to her disapproval, we reverted back to "outside for bathroom breaks only" for a week, and when we started her walks back up, there was a drastic improvement. She barely limps now and is much like she was BEFORE the meniscal tear. If you can remember back, she never fully recovered after the MMP surgery. When standing still she would favor that leg slightly and maybe had a barely noticeable hitch in her step. I'd say we're back there now and I am thrilled. We are about to bump her walks up to 20 minutes and we're still going to take it slow and not allow her to be TOO wild, but I definitely feel like we're back on track and I am pleased with her recovery. My parents, who see her every couple of weeks, said they noticed a huge difference on her last visit and I'd say it's only gotten better since then. So the lesson here is one of PATIENCE! I also think the rest really helped her, so although that wasn't what the vet originally suggested, remember sometimes you may need to alter "the plan" a little to do what you think is best for your dog :)

6 comments:

  1. Im glad to hear things are going better. Hope the month since the last post has been full of improvements. Thanks for the blog, it was really good having this available because I have had to send my dog for a TTO for her left hind leg. The vet first said she might need it on both her knees but after the first operation, he said she might not need it on the other knee because there has been improvement.

    However, she is limping again and on Wednesday she is scheduled to do TTO on her right hind limb. Im not as nervous as the last one because it was jumping into the unknown and thats where your blog helped, all the way in South Africa. I wish she didnt have to go through this again...but i am visualising seeing her run free afterwards.

    Thanks for posting and God bless you and your family.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad my blog has helped you! If you have any questions along the way, feel free to shoot me a message. Good luck to you and your dog through this second surgery and recovery!

      Delete
    2. its been 3 years, how is Heidi doing?
      let me know, reallly interested. Hope you are all well.

      Delete
    3. now 6, any chance of an update?

      Delete
  2. Hi I just wanted to write to you because I read about your dog surgeries and my dog just had a TTA surgery on her back left leg and her meniscus scrape out. It's been about 5 months since she had the surgery and she was doing well but I've noticed she is started to limp on her back right leg and it'll go away for a few days and then come back and now she's not putting any weight on her back right leg. I just wanted to get some input from you on how well Heidi has bounce and she's had two surgeries because I will do whatever I have to to help my dog, because she is my baby her name is Marilyn but I have that same feeling as you I've been awfully having anxiety attacks about going through it again. Please let me know how she's doing and maybe I can get some optimistic advice and encouragement from you thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear Marilyn is facing another surgery. Heidi is still doing really well. She will be 7 in a few months (she had her first knee surgery at 1 and a half years old) and her knees have held up well! She is an inside dog who is content to lay around and be lazy most of the day, but she does still go outside to play ball a couple of times a week. Sometimes if she goes hard, she may be slower getting up and down for a day or so, but that's the only real impairment I have seen. All in all, I think the surgeries were worth it! I wish you the best and hope for a speedy recovery for Marilyn!

    ReplyDelete