Monday, August 6, 2012

A Little Past 3 weeks

All smiles
This post is going to be boring, but I want to try to post every week for those people who are following along because they find themselves in the same situation we're in.  Heidi is doing great!  Nothing new to report, really.  I will say I think the past couple of days I've actually noticed a difference in her limp!  When she walks it's really not too noticeable, but she does still bear less weight on her most recently surgerized (left) leg when she's just standing still.  It is totally possible this is a result of the reduced muscle mass in that leg and not so much that she's in pain (I'm hoping that is the case at least).  I was checking out her legs this evening as she was snuggling in my lap and it is crazy how big her calf muscle is on her right leg compared to her left.  There's also a pretty noticeable difference in her thighs/glutes, too (ps. I have no idea if dogs muscles are named the same things as humans so use your imagination).  I can't wait to build those back up!  Starting Saturday, she gets to begin her rehab walks :)  We'll start with 5 minute walks twice a day, which will be a real treat to Heidi! 

My only other concern is that she is becoming more and more wild. Obviously her leg is feeling much better because she is reverting back to her wild-woman ways.  We've started giving her Tramadol less than 12 hours apart.  We still only give it twice a day, but I give it when she eats breakfast around 8, then again around dinner time at 5:30ish.  Last time, we began giving the Tramadol three times a day as you may remember, but I'm sort of against over-medicating and this seems to do the trick.

Well, that's enough for now, see ya again in about a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment