Thursday, August 8, 2013

Torn... literally... again...

My poor Heidi girl can't catch a break.  A couple of weeks ago she began limping AGAIN.  It was minor and would kind of come and go, so honestly, the hubs and I tried to ignore it.  We decided no walks, just outside to potty, and that was it.  We were so hoping it was just a fluke (even though in the back of my mind I knew it wasn't.)  A couple of days ago, for the first time, I heard her knee popping.  I could just rip my hair out; I feel so defeated.  We seriously have tried to do everything right.  No more dog park.  No more rough play.  No more running.  Just controlled walks and lots of love.  I don't even know what brought this along- which is the worst part.  Just one night, she got out of her bed and was barely using her left back leg.  If you're not familiar with the progression of these knee injuries, often the next thing to go after a CCL tear is the meniscus.  The telltale sign is the knee click (popping). 

I need to call the vet school and make an appointment for her to be seen, but I already know what they will say- another knee surgery.  Her FOURTH knee surgery (third on that knee).  So I've put it off.  I will do it tomorrow.  Ugh. 

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, as I don't have all of the options or facts, but I'm really torn about the meniscus repair/removal surgery.  For those of you who don't know, the meniscus is a cartilaginous structure inside the knee.  It cushions the knee and helps provide stability to the joint.  With a torn meniscus it causes pain and instability... and leads to arthritis.  Without it, I imagine it may eventually cause pain and instability due to... dun dun dun... arthritis.  Well, maybe they'll only take out the damaged part of the meniscus.  But then does that leave her susceptible (or maybe even more susceptible) to future tears, leading to future surgeries?  I need to write these questions down to ask her doctor. 

I read somewhere that surgeons only think of the short-term.  If she has this surgery, she will be fixed.  But is it a permanent fix or just temporary?  In another 6 months will we be at this same place again?  My dog is only 3 years old!  I want to know where I can realistically expect Heidi to be when she's 10.  By God this dog will live past 10!  She's a shelter dog for Heaven's sake... a MUTT!  Aren't they supposed to be the best dogs?  I have a minor in genetics... a broader gene pool is supposed to provide enough variance to prevent genetic conditions, so WHY does my dog have a "genetic" degenerative joint condition????

Alright, time to put on my big girl panties.  I apologize for my pity party.  It's not really for me.  It's for Heidi.  She is the best dog.  She does not deserve any of this.  But I guess we'll take the hand we're dealt and do what we have to do.   That is all for now- I'll keep you all posted!



Side note:  If anyone reading this has had a dog with a torn meniscus, I would love to hear your story.  I haven't been able to find much online.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this blog! Let us know what you find out. My guy had a failed traditional repair and had a TPLO 7 months ago (wow!). At the time of his TPLO his meniscus was partially removed - the torn and hardened part - and I worry about the rest of it going. I'll let you know.

    I wonder whether one procedure over another has a propensity for meniscus tears? (though I know TPLO is notorious for this)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope your buddy is still doing well. I think regardless of what procedure you choose, the meniscus is the next thing to go. We were warned about it when Heidi had the TTO and with the MMP. Best of luck to you and yours in the future!

      Delete
  2. Its been great to read your blog... oh dear my poor Lexi, had MMA, then few weeks later her other leg went, and had TPLO purely because we found a surgeon in our area and to save her all the stress of the long travel to recommended Hospital who did her first one. And it was actually nearly 1k cheaper. Now she is 13 weeks post op on the first MMA, and 4 weeks the TPLO and that leg has been fantastic, but now the first leg she is limping, oh its so heart-breaking, x-rays show no tears, distal ok, and just do not know why she is limping, But this blog has helped so much, even though still at a loss. Hope Lexi is ok :)

    ReplyDelete