Saturday, September 7, 2013

Postop Day 2

Heidi finally got home around 7 yesterday evening. I think it's safe to say we were both very excited to see each other (I hadn't seen her since Wednesday morning before school). She was still pretty groggy from the meds and slept most of the evening. I was disappointed to see her mostly holding up her operative leg. I think it's totally expected, but after all of her other surgeries she has used her leg from the get go so I wasn't really expecting it for her. I will say she does use the leg a little if we force her to go slow. Especially if she's out on the grass or soft ground. This morning we got a wake-up call from the vet school at 7am... on a Saturday! They wanted to see how Heidi was doing. I was like, "well, she's still sleeping so I don't really know yet!" After that, we got up and went outside and ate breakfast. While outside, Heidi used her leg more than she did last night, so that was reassuring. She is on the same medications as before: tramadol and Rimadyl for pain and inflammation. She still seems pretty exhausted, as she has been sleeping all morning. We have blocked off the same area as before to keep her quiet. Her recovery is much shorter with this surgery, but we still want to do it right. Her mobility is supposed to be really restricted for the first 2 weeks, then after that she can begin short walks, increasing in length for the next 2-4 weeks. After that (fingers crossed) she will be back to normal. I will try to do frequent updates, especially to document the progression of her limp so check back in a few days!

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I have enjoyed reading about your experiences with Heidi! I have a lot of questions that I would like to ask you relating to her surgeries. My sweet little 7 month old baby girl has recently injured her knee and the vet believes it to be a torn CCL like Heidi's. Would you please send me an email address by which I can contact you? I just have too much to ask to place all in comments. If you would please do that, my email address is brooke.chittam@yahoo.com. I would love to converse with you and learn more about what I will soon be going through with my little Bella. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just sent you an e-mail back. Let me know if you don't receive it for some reason. I look forward to talking with you!

      Delete