Monday, July 16, 2012

Post-op: Day 3 (again)


Well, I'm glad to report I really have nothing to report!  Heidi is doing really well so far.  She sleeps a lot (thanks to some wonderful medications!) and she loves to snuggle with Alex and I.  She's eating well and all's normal when it comes to bodily functions, so I'd say we're doing great!  The one thing I look back in my blog and wish I had talked more about is her limping.  I don't remember exactly how it progressed and really should've talked more about it because, of course, this time I have a feeling I'll be paranoid she's not doing as well as before, when in actuality, I probably just don't remember!  So for the sake of others in our same situation, I'll try to note the status of her limp in all my posts.  However, it's important to note every dog's recovery will be different so if you're also going through this, don't freak out if your dog's progression doesn't exactly mirror Heidi's.  From day 1 post op, she's been using her leg.  Not to it's full potential, obviously, but she does bear some weight.  I would say today she actually puts a little more weight on it than the past two days, although if she gets going too fast (bad dog!) she will skip that leg every few steps.  I took her outside an hour or so ago and we saw another dog. It was all I could do to keep her calm so I now know I need to keep her from seeing other dogs when outside. And I'll tell you what I really love about this whole thing... carrying my 70 lb dog up and down the stairs for potty breaks!  And in this heat!!! I'll really miss that the most when this is all over ;-)  Well, that's all for now.  I'll post again in a day or two.  In the mean time, enjoy some precious (if I do say so myself!) pics of "the Hiney"!  [*Just FYI, our niece used to call her Hiney before she could pronounce her name and it stuck! So that's one of her many silly nicknames]

First day post-op snuggling in mom's lap <3

Rear view: slight swelling and muscle atrophy and of course a POODLE HAIRCUT!



No comments:

Post a Comment